Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Tales of Vinoli: Chapter 2

Having climbed the stairs to the palace's second floor, Argath reached her quarters. To her surprise, she found that the door which led to them, was ajar. Before she had gone outside, earlier that day, the only other person left in the place had been one of Argath's chambermaids, who had been busy  cleaning. She wouldn't leave without telling her mistress, so who else could be in there? Lorenzo? No, as far as she was aware, he had not yet returned from his journey and besides, he would never enter her chambers unannounced.

Like all of her kind, Argath possessed an innate talent for magic, something, she now decided to make use of: Under her breath she muttered an incantation, while at the same time moving her fingers in the air.

A dagger, whose blade seemed to be made out of dancing, blue flames, materialized out of thin air. Argath grabbed the weapon and approached the door cautiously. If the person who had chosen to invade her domicile was after her life, they would soon find out that she wouldn't sell it cheaply.

Once she had opened the door and stepped over the threshold, the princess found that the intruder was not some unknown assassin, though the look on her face (which resembled that of a person having just taken a bite out of a lemon), said that in this case, an assassin would actually have been preferable. Reclining in Argath's favorite chair, his shirt unbuttoned and clutching a bottle of wine, one which Argath recognized as coming from her own supply, was her half-brother Thekros.

The chamber-maid, a white mouse, was seated on the floor. Once Argath entered the room, she stood up and looked at the dragoness with beseeching eyes.

"Your Highness", the girl said, nose and ears twitching. "He just walked in here, I couldn't stop him. "

"Leave us", Argath said, barely sparing the chambermaid a glance.

Looking as if she was on the verge of tears, the chambermaid left the room. As she disappeared, Thekros ogled her tail lecherously.

"She's pretty cute", he said, taking a swig out of the bottle. "I've got to hand it to you, Arg: You sure know how to pick'em."

"What do you want, Thekros?" Argath asked in a tone of voice which caused the temperature to drop several degrees.

"Why don't you put away that little toy of yours first?" Her half-brother said, pointing to the dagger. "I'm not here to hurt you, I promise. Besides, we both know that when it comes to magic, I am your superior."

"To make up for the fact that you are my inferior in everything else, brother" Argath snarled. Still, loath as she was to admit it, Thekros was right. She made a gesture and the dagger vanished.

"Satisfied?" She asked. "Now, tell me what you want. I assume that you didn't invade my privacy just to get drunk and harass my servants?

Slowly, Thekros got up out of the chair, he was shorter than his father and sister, with a lean, muscular frame and a face that many would consider handsome, was it not for the insolent smirk that seemed to have been permanently stamped onto his features.

After taking another swig, he put the now empty bottle down and stood there, swaying back and forth with a cunning gleam in his eyes.

"I'm here to tell you, my dear sister", he begun, before letting out a burp. "Excuse me, as I was saying, I'm here to tell you that I've seen through your little game."

Upon hearing this, Argath stiffened. Could it be that this fool had discovered her plans? No, he couldn't have, she had been so careful in concealing them.

"What are you talking about?" She asked, her voice cold and level, not betraying any sign of anxiety.

Thekros snorted contemptuously, smoke coming out of his nostrils.

"Do not play dumb with me", he said, pointing a  finger at Argath. "You mi"

Argath breathed a sigh of relief.

Oh, Thekros, you poor fool, she thought. You have no idea. I'd feel sorry for you, if I didn't hate your guts.

"Well, it seems I have underestimated you, brother."

"As have you all. Did you think that all I've done the past decades is drinking and partying? No, I've gathered quite a large support base in this city, one filled with people who would do anything to see me on the throne."

"Is that so? And why are you telling me this? Seems a bit careless, in my opinion?"

"Because I recognize that you are a clever person and as such, you will no doubt realize that standing behind me is your best option. You simply can't win; pledge allegiance to me and once I am King I will merely send you into exile. Or perhaps, I'll give you to one of my followers; at least one of them mentioned that he found you attractive, though I've never understood why."

"A tempting offer and what about our other siblings? Are you going to give them the same opportunity?"

Thekros shook his head.

"Why should I? Neither Keron nor Merees have any interest in ruling a Kingdom. You are my only rival."

Having made this declaration, the Prince went up to the door and opened it.

"I'll take my leave now, sister. You have until tomorrow to consider my offer. Don't get in my way, remember Argeron?"

Upon hearing this name, Argath reacted as though she had received a blow. She staggered and had to grab hold of a table, as she looked on her brother with rage-filled tears filling her eyes.

"Well, well, it seems I have overestimated you, dear sister. Apparently, all it takes is one word and you break just like a little girl."

With that, Thekros let out a laugh, which felt like needles in Argath's ears and left the room. Now that she was alone, Argath could feel the frustration well up in her. A frustration which was directed not just at her brother but herself as well.

Calm yourself, she thought. Thekros is a dead dragon walking. Nothing what he says matter. Its beneath your dignity to be provoked by the words coming from his mouth.

Just then, there was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" She called out.

"It is I, Lorenzo, Princess",a voice from the opposite side of the door. replied "May I come in?"

The Voice of her confidant, caused Argath, who had been slumped in an armchair, to perk up. 

"Yes" she called out. "Enter!"

The door opened and Lorenzo stepped inside. He was a fox, wearing a wide-brimmed hat with a feather in it. His left eye was covered with an eye-patch and his clothes were covered in dust from the road.

He looked at the broken pieces of glass lying by the door and gave a little shrug. He then doffed his hat and bowed to the chair's occupant.

"Greetings, Princess. I have returned to you after a long absence, with my mission completed. Forgive my appearance, but I have just delivered the goods to the man in the kitchen and have not had time to freshen up." 

"You're excused, Lorenzo" she said. "Oh, and you have my gratitude. As usual you've carried out your duties to my satisfaction."

"Thank you. If I may, Princess; our man asked me to tell you not to forget your promise to him."

"Tell him that he can rest easily: Princess Argath knows how to reward those who have served her well.

"You need not tell me that, Princess. Incidentally, may I ask how the preparations are going? For the festivities, I mean."

"Oh, they are going fine. Its a shame that I'll have to miss the whole thing."

"Indeed. Naturally, you've already come up with an excuse for being absent."

"Yes, today I simulated a migraine in front of the king, he bought it completely. I have a feeling that its only the beginning for something much more serious. Why, it wouldn't surprise me if I became bedridden just in time for the celebration. Such a shame."

As she uttered these words, Argath pretended to swoon theatrically, the back of her hand touching her scaly forehead. Then, she threw her head back and began to laugh uproariously, like someone who had just recalled an extremely funny joke they'd heard once..

Lorenzo decided to take advantage of the Princess' good mood, to ask a question.

"How about a toast to celebrate your success?" The fox asked, making a smacking noise with his tongue.

"No", said Argath and shook her head. "We can celebrate when this operation has been carried out successfully, but not until then. I could use a pick-me-up though."

She got out of the chair and walked over to a cord, which was attached to the wall. She pulled the cord and the next moment, the doors opened and the chambermaid entered the room.

"Make us coffee Argath commanded. "Strong coffee."

The chambermaid bowed. Like all the quarters belonging to members of the Royal Family and some of the wealthier courtiers, who were permanent residents at the palace,  Argath's  had their own, small kitchen. The maid was just about to go there, when the female dragon called her back:

"One more thing" she said. "Did my brother hurt you in any way?"

"No, Princess. Though he did show me when I tried to stop him from taking your wine."

"I see. Well, don't worry, I shall have a word with my father about that, I promise you."

"Thank you, Princess."

"There's no need to thank me" Argath said. After all, she thought. I can't very well let someone else lay their hands on my things.



*****

A few days after they had received the invitation, Jeraddin and his family arrived in the capital, Xerxes having returned there earlier. Both Jeraddin and Nasari had tried to convince him to stay, so that they might travel to the capital together, but the wolf had declined.

"I am sorry", he had said, "but I need to get back and tell the king that you've accepted the invitation."

Both of his hosts were disappointed, but realized that he was right and so they had seen him off, but not before telling him that he would always be welcome in their home.

As the carriage hurried through the streets of the city, the two children looked out the windows at the multitude outside. Leorin stared in wide-eyed excitement at all the commotion, frequently he'd turn to
Nasari, who was seated next to him and urge her to look at some new thing which had just caught his interest and his mother was more than happy to indulge. As for Risha, she looked out the window, with a deliberate air of disinterest. Being the older sibling, she felt that acting in a way similar to her brother, would be considered childish on her part. That said, as she sat there, next to her father, chin resting in one paw, the young lynx-girl was not able to completely contain her excitement, something which displayed itself in the way she  rhythmically tapped her feet on the carriage floor.

Eventually, the carriage reached the gates of the palace and the family climbed out. Jeraddin turned to the coachman, a portly ursine and paid him the agreed fare, complete with a tip.

"Thank you, my Lord" said the bear and touched the brim of his cap. "Would you like me to be pick you up when the party's over."

Jeraddin shook his head.

"Thank you, that won't be necessary."

"Very well, my Lord. Farewell."

The carriage departed and the family walked up to the gate, which was guarded by a pair of rhinoceros, each wielding a spear. Between the two guards stood a hippo, who wore livery and carried himself with an air of importance.

"We're here for the party", Jeraddin announced to the hippo. "Here's our invitation", he said, taking out the letter from the King and handing it over.

"Thank you, General" said the hippo as he examined the letter. "You may enter, the other guests are in the palace garden."

He signed for the guards to open the gate.

"Is his majesty there too?" Jeraddin asked, as the family stepped onto the palace grounds.

"I believe so", came the answer.

The garden was already filled with guests when the family entered it. Important members of every land-dwelling species could be seen hobnobbing with each other, while servants busied themselves carrying trays loaded with drinks. Underneath the tree a snack-table had been set up and close by, a podium had been erected upon which an orchestra was playing. The sound of the music mixed in the air with the conversation of the guests and the occasional excited scream or laughter from one of their children.

"The first thing we need to do is to find the King and pay our respects", said Jeraddin and gazed out over the garden.

"Is that him over there?" His wife asked and pointed in a certain direction.

"It is", replied her husband. "Come on, children."

King Sharan was engaged in a conversation, when Jeraddin and the others approached him. His conversational-partner, a rooster wearing a monocle, looked at the family and turned back to the king.

"Your majesty, I believe I monopolized your time enough. There seem to be a few other guests who'd like a word, with your permission I shall take my leave."

"Very well, ambassador. We shall talk more later, enjoy the party."

The rooster bowed and the dragon acknowledged the bow with a nod of his head. During this time, the whole family had been absolutely silent, not uttering a word.

As soon as the ambassador had left, King Sharan turned around to greet the new arrivals and his face was lit up by a bright smile, as he noticed who the guests were.

"Jeraddin", he exclaimed. "How good to see you."

"Thank you, your majesty" said the lynx. "May I present my wife, Nasari and our children, Risha and Leorin."

King Sharan bid each of them welcome and the whole family uttered their thanks and either bowed or curtsied, depending on what was appropriate.

Having paid the appropriate respects, the two children decided to go and explore the garden, while their parents remained to talk some more with the king. A servant came up to them and they each took a drink from the tray.

"I hope you will all enjoy this party", said king Sharan and took a sip of the gold-colored liquid. "Its my daughter who has organized everything."

It was at that point that none other than Lorenzo suddenly appeared by the king's side, as if the mention of the princess had summoned him there.

"Pardon me, your majesty" the fox said and bowed, "but I have a message from princess Argath."

"Oh", said the king and looked surprised. "What does she want? And by the way, where is she? I haven't seen her all day."

"The princess has sent me to inform your majesty that she's feeling a bit under the weather and can't attend the celebrations, much to her regret."

The king sighed and shook his head sadly.

"How unfortunate, poor Argath. Its nothing serious I hope?"

"She told me: 'Tell my father not to worry, I have taken a medical potion and shall be fine with some rest', replied Lorenzo. Is there any message you wish me to bring back to her, your majesty?"

"Just tell her that I'm sorry she couldn't attend and that I hope she gets well soon."

Lorenzo promised to do so and, having bowed once more to the King, left. Jeraddin looked at him with ill-disguised disapproval.

"I see that the Princess still keeps that fox in her employ" he said.

"Now, now, General" King Sharan chided him gently. "I know that you do not care much for Lorenzo, but my daughter swears by him. Anyway, he won't bother you while you're here."

Nasari and Jeraddin talked some more with King Sharan, until some new guests arrived that required the monarch's attention. The King and excused them and the two of them decided to head for the snack-table. While walking towards it, Nasari turned to her husband:

"Dear, what's the story between you and that fox?" She asked.

"Nothing in particular, my sweet" Jeraddin said. "I just don't care for him, that's all. He's one of those people who rub me the wrong way."

Upon reaching the table the couple soon found themselves the center attention,  with many of the other guests being eager to meet the famous war-hero and his spouse. Jeraddin, who had a bit of a vain side and enjoyed basking in the admiration of others, soon forgot about Lorenzo completely, as he regaled his fellow guests with a particularly thrilling episode of his career.

An hour after the family's arrival, a gong sounded. It was the signal that dinner was about to be served.
As the guests headed inside, the sound of the gong mixed with the noise from the street, where the citizens celebrated as well; enjoying the free food and drink, which had been handed out to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment