Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2022

A Few More Quick Takes

 Note: An asterisk in front of the title indicates that this is a revisit (as you can see, most of them are this time around).


Record of the Lodoss War*

I have a huge soft spot for the original Record of the Lodoss War OVA. Sure, neither the world and the story is exactly brimming with innovation; it's your typical medieval fantasy-setting with elves, dwarfs, dragons, etc. However, the story is told well and most of the characters, while not exactly the deepest that the medium has offered, are engaging to watch. Also, the opening and ending theme are both excellent. Its not one of my absolute favorite anime, but if you're in the mood for some Tolkienesque high-fantasy, than Record of the Lodoss War is well worth checking out.

Chernobyl

I came into Chernobyl with high expectations, having heard almost nothing but positive things about it, since it first came out. I was not disappointed: This is a splendid mini-series, which had me captivated throughout its six episodes. Visually it looks great and Jared Harris, Emily Watson and the always reliable Stellan Skarsgard, delivers top-notch performances. Listening to the official podcast, its also clear that the writers have done their research and have made sure to depict this catastrophe with all the weight it deserves (though obviously some artistic license have been taken for the sake of the story). All this combines to make Chernobyl one of the best things to come out of HBO, if not the best.

Hook*

Back when my age was in the single-digits, this was one of my two favorite movies (the other being The Adventures of Baron Münchhausen, my first Terry Gilliam film). As an adult, no, its not one of my  favorites, but I do maintain that its an enjoyable film, with an interesting premise (what if the boy who never grew up, actually grew up?) and  featuring some entertaining performances from Robin Williams, Bob Hopkins and Dustin Hoffman (incidentally, this movie's depictions of Smee and Captain Hook are much closer to Barrie's original versions of these characters than Disney's, especially Smee). A very underrated movie.

Wicked City*

 Yoshihaki Kawajiri's solo debut as an anime director is as stylish and atmospheric as his later works. Unfortunately, Wicked City is marred significantly by its treatment of its female lead, Makie. Initially presented as a skilled warrior, the equal to the male protagonist, Taki, most of her screen-time consists of being perved on by the lecherous old diplomat she and Taki have been assigned to protect, or sexually assaulted by the villains. These aspects of the film comes across as incredibly gratuitous and makes it hard for me to recommend Wicked City to anyone but the most hardcore of Kawajiri fans

The Lives of Others*

I remember liking this German movie back when I first saw it, some years ago. However, a re-watch really elevated it in my estimation and I now rank The Lives of Others among my favorite movies. 

At its core, its a powerful redemption story, about a man who discovers his humanity after years of being a willing cog in the machine. Ulrich Mühe delivers a fantastic performance as the Stasi-agent Wiesler. Oh, and the ending is one of the best I've seen in a movie. It actually made me tear up a bit, I admit.


No comments:

Post a Comment