Search This Blog

Monday, October 23, 2017

Amsterdam

Thursday last week I went on a trip to Amsterdam with my brother and his girlfriend. It was my first visit to this city and to Holland in particular and all in all, I had a good time.
 Among other things, we went to two museums: The Van Gogh Museum; dedicated to that great Dutch painter, though we were somewhat disappointed to learn that Starry Night was not on display there, but instead at MoMA in New York. The other museum was Body Worlds, in which one can view body-parts, donated by people after they have passed on. An educating and informative, if perhaps, somewhat morbid experience.

I'm afraid I did not smoke any weed, or engaged the services of a prostitute, as is expected of tourists to Amsterdam (there's always next time though). Instead, I spent most of my money on books. Here's what I bought:

Borges, Jorge Luis: The Book of Imaginary Beings
Byatt, A.S.: The Children's Book
Catling, B: The Vorrh
Davis, Rob: The Motherless Oven
Ferris, Emil: My Favorite Thing Is Monsters
Gazdanov, Gaito: The Spectre of Alexander Wolf
Jason: Lost Cat
Mizuki, Shigeru: Showa: A History of Japan, 1926-1939
Tremain, Rose: Music & Silence
Wolfe, Gene: Pirate Freedom
Zweig, Stefan: Beware of Pity

Who knows, perhaps I will write a thing or two about some of these volumes in the future? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment