Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2016

Hail Caesar!

To those of my readers who took a quick glance at the title of this post expecting it to be about the latest oeuvre from the Cohen Brothers; I'm afraid I must disappoint you. Seeing as how I have not yet seen the movie, Hail Caesar, it follows that I can't write about it. My apologies for the deception. That said, the title is appropriate, you see, I recently begun another re-watch of one of my favorite shows: I, Claudius.
For those of you unfamiliar with it, I, Claudius is a British mini-series from the 1970's, created by Jack Pullman and based on the two novels, I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves. The novels and the series tells the story of the Roman Emperor Claudius, who because of his stutter and twitching, was dismissed and treated as a fool by most of his family. Something which allowed the sharp-witted Claudius to survive the rules of three emperors: Augustus, Tiberius and Caligula, while most of his relatives ended up murdering each other.
I was introduced to the mini-series as a child in the 90's. when it was shown on re-runs on Television. I was immediately hooked by this show, which was unlike anything I had seen on TV at that point (I'm almost 100% certain that I, Claudius was the first TV-series meant for a mature audience that I ever watched). Years later, I bought the DVD box-set. Needless to say, I, Claudius has had a permanent place among my all-time favorites ever since and I re-watch it regularly.



It should be acknowledged that if a modern viewer decided to watch I, Claudius for the first time, they're likely to find certain elements of the series dated. It should be remembered that this is a low-budget British mini-series made in the 1970's, which means that its going to resemble a play more than anything else and that most of the plot will be conveyed via dialogue. Certainly, there are plenty of modern TV-dramas that are far more impressive on the visual front, with more striking cinematography and convincing special-effects.
However, at the end of the day, none of that truly matters. Why? Because I, Claudius demonstrates that the two things that truly serves to make a show great are acting and writing and this show really shines in these two areas; particularly in the latter, with Derek Jacobi, Sîan Philips, John Hurt and Brian Blessed among others, delivering some of their best work here.



Jacobi's Claudius is a great protagonist, one who is really easy to sympathize with as we see the way that he's treated by pretty much everyone around here. However, the show never makes Claudius just a figure of pity, showing us his cleverness and how good he is at adapting to various situations and reading people. Claudius is certainly no fool, but he's very good at playing the fool in order to survive. Hurt does an excellent job portraying one of history's most infamous tyrants, his Caligula being very entertaining to watch, but also unpredictable and utterly terrifying. The episodes that focuses on his rule are some of the most intense this series has to offer. Brian Blessed's Augustus is as entertainingly hammy as one would come to expect from the actor. However, Blessed also shows that he can be subdued when the situation calls for it. Augustus' death-scene must surely go down as one of the best seen on television.
That said, at the end of the day, my favorite performance in I, Claudius must be that of Philips, whose Livia is the definite example of the evil matriarch type of character. A smart and ruthless woman who gets some of the show's best lines (which is saying a lot), Livia is best described by Tiberius, who sums up his mother with the following words:
"They say a snake bit her once and died."



I, Claudius is, to put it simply, a master-piece. For years now, it has been the benchmark by which I judge not just other mini-series, but other book-to-TV adaptations as well and while I have come across shows in either or both categories that I find to be outstanding, it remains my favorite.
Long live the emperor.





No comments:

Post a Comment