Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Chapter 12

It is now the second day of our sea-voyage. The weather continues to be fine, with the breeze blowing and the sun shining, warming the ship's deck. Were it not for the terrible circumstances which has put us on this vessel, one could almost be tempted to treat this as a pleasant cruise. Our cabin contains a bed, large enough so that two persons can sleep in it, if they squeeze together and a hammock. As soon as we entered the cabin, Leorin immediately pounced upon the hammock, declaring it his sleeping-place, so now, I'm sharing a bed with Merees. Speaking of, last night, I was awakened by her tossing and turning in bed and at one point, she let out a small cry.

Not that my own sleep is much better. No matter how much I try, I can't help but think of my parents. The Princess promised that we would return to Vinoli one day, but the chances of that ever happening seems slim. I'm not going to share my opinion with Leorin, though; he's still a kid and could use all the hope he can get. Besides, as the older sibling, its my responsibility to protect him.

That is not the only reason my sleep is troubled, though. Lying so close to Merees, feeling her breath on my neck is driving me crazy. Since our first meeting I have wanted us to be more than friends. Oh, I can't continue like this, I have to tell her how I feel. Oh, but what if she doesn't feel the same way? Could we still continue to be friends like we are now?

Anyway, in the cabin I happened to find this notebook, perhaps forgotten there by a previous passenger. Curious, I opened it to discover what secrets it might hold. However, I was disappointed to find that notebook contained only a few sketches of the crew on the first few pages, the rest being empty. Well, since the original owner is unlikely to reclaim it, I've decided to make use of this notebook, In order to have something to do during our voyage. Luckily, the previous owner of the notebook have also left behind a pencil. so now I sit here on deck, while trying to put my thoughts on paper.

I haven't had any real contact with the sailors, not wanting to disturb them in their work. My brother, on the other hand, has no such qualms: At one point, I heard him call out my name and looked up to see him waving to me from the rigging. Immediately, my head was filled with terrible visions, images of my brother being swallowed up by the ocean or lying on deck, his body twisted like a pretzel. With my heart pounding in my chest, I was about to tell Leorin to get down from there at once, when I remembered that his inborn agility and sense of balance would prevent any accidents from happening. Realizing that I had no cause for fear, I returned his wave and went back to doing my own thing.

The Captain, whose name I've since learned is Cerewan, invited us to his table last evening. During the dinner, he regaled us with stories of his many voyages on the high-seas. He also told us that we'll be arriving at the island of Kabula the day after tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it, it will be nice to have solid ground under my feet again, if only for a short while. 


*****

Here, Risha paused for a moment, to think about what her next sentence should be. As she pondered this, she chewed on the top of the pencil. Having reached a decision, she was just about to start writing again, when she found her concentration being chased away by the sound of a loud, angry voice.

"Apologize, now."

Risha looked up and saw one of the crew, the squirrel involved in an argument with a large alligator.

"But, you're the one who bumped into me", the squirrel protested.

"Are you talking back to me?" The gator growled, grabbing hold of the squirrel's collar. "I'll teach you some manners", he added, raising a leathery hand over his head.

Before the blow could land, however, a voice called out:

"Don't!"

The gator and the squirrel both turned as one and saw an angry lynx glaring at them.

"Stay out of this, girlie", the gator growled, his eyes narrowing menacingly. "This doesn't concern you."

Risha felt her body trembling, but she stood her ground, she would not be intimidated by this bully. Was she not the daughter of one Vinoli's heroes? She knew that her father would never have tolerated a person picking on someone weaker than themselves in his proximity and neither would she.

"Let. Him.Go." She said, clenching her teeth. "Let him go, or else the Captain will hear about this."

The alligator snorted mockingly, but then let the squirrel go and stomped away, muttering angrily.

"Why did you help me?" The squirrel asked, as he stood up and dusted off his tattered pants.

Risha was somewhat taken aback by this question, she had expected a "thank you" or something in a similar vein.

"Well, um, because it was the right thing to do."

The squirrel stared at her in surprise, then he lowered his eyes.

"S-sorry", he stuttered. "I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, its just that no-one's done that before. By the way, my name is Luke."

"I'm Risha. Tell me, Luke, do these sort of things happen to you often?"

"From time to time, I am the smallest and youngest member of the crew and someone has to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

"That's awful!" Risha cried out indignantly. "Why don't you tell the captain about this? I'm sure if he knew, he wouldn't allow the rest of the crew to treat you this way."
The squirrel let out a dismissive sound.

"What makes you think he don't know?" He wondered. "By the way, there's something you should know about old Cerewan."

"What's that?"

Luke looked around, darting his head from left to right like a cornered animal. Suddenly, he froze up, his bushy tail standing on end.

"I can't talk now. Listen, I'm having the first watch this evening, meet me here then and bring your friends. For now, I can only tell you one thing."

"Oh, and what is that?"

"Don't trust the Captain, that's all."

Having said that, the squirrel quickly scampered away, leaving Risha alone. The lynx-girl looked after Luke for awhile, wondering what could have made him so nervous. She got her answer as she turned around and saw that Captain Cerewan was standing on the bridge. The Captain was standing with his arms behind his back while staring at the horizon. He then turned his gaze towards the deck and upon seeing Risha, he raised his right paw in a greeting. With the squirrel's warning fresh in her mind, the lynx-girl first considered ignoring the gesture.
Hold on, she thought to herself. If I treat the Captain coldly, he might be suspicious.
Thus, she waved back, while flashing the Captain the most charming smile she could muster.

*****

Later that evening, as the crescent moon bathed the ship in its pale light, Luke was alone on deck, waiting for Risha and her friends to show up. It was a rather chilly evening and the squirrel couldn't prevent himself from sneezing.

"Bless you", a voice said.

Nervously, Luke turned to the direction the voice had come from. He breathed a sigh of relief, when he realized that it was the three people he had decided to meet.

"At last", he said. "I was starting to get worried."

"Why don't we introduce ourselves", Risha suggested. "You already know my name and these two are my brother, Leorin and Merees. Guys, this is Luke."

"Pleased to meet you", Leorin said cheerfully.

"You had something to tell us", Merees asked, cutting right to the chase. "What is it?"

Before he could answer, Luke let out another sneeze. He noticed that his nose was running and was just about to wipe it on the back of his sleeve, when he saw that Merees was holding out a handkerchief to him. Grateful, he took the object and used it as intended, before stuffing it in his pocket.

"Thanks. Now, before I begin I should tell you that this is only my third voyage aboard this ship. On my first, we had two passengers, a man and a woman who wanted to get out of Vinoli. I think they were lovers and planned to elope before the woman's husband discovered their affair. Or maybe it was the man who was married? Anyway, its not important. What's important is this; just like it will do tomorrow, the ship laid anchor at Kabula and the couple went on shore, accompanied by the Captain and a few sailors. However, by nightfall, the Captain and the sailors returned, alone.

"Maybe the couple stayed behind?" Leorin suggested.

"That's just it! They were supposed to continue their journey, so I thought it was strange that they didn't come back. Also, when he returned, I noticed that the Captain was carrying this purse, which looked pretty heavy. Later, the Captain had a keg of beer carried out on deck and opened up. I remember that part, because we all drank from it, but I couldn't help but wonder what became of our passengers."

"I think I can guess", Risha muttered.

"We need to get off this ship as soon as possible", Merees said. She went over to one of the lifeboats, which hung by the ship's side. "We'll take one of these, but first, we need a compass, not to mention food and water."

"There's a spare compass in the Captain's cabin", said Luke. "He never locks his door because he knows that no-one among the crew would dare steal from him."

"I'll go get it", Leorin said. "I can be very quiet when I need to be."

Risha was just about to protest, stating that as the older sibling, she should take the risk, but before she could say something, Leorin had already disappeared in the direction of the captain's cabin. Merees, Luke and Risha watched as he opened the door slightly and slipped inside.

"I'll go get the other things we need", Luke said and headed for the galley.

As the two girls stood there all by themselves, Merees turned to Risha.

"Can I tell you something?"

"Of course, what are friends for?"

"I....", the dragon hesitated, as if she was suddenly unsure whether this was something she wanted to share with anyone else. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Suddenly, she felt something. Opening her eyes, she saw that Risha was holding her hand.

"Its OK", the lynx said in a soothing voice. "Take your time."

Merees smiled.

"You know, I'm the oldest of us and yet, you're the one comforting me."

"Well, I've had experience. When he was much younger Leorin would sometimes come to me when he was feeling sad and our mother wasn't available. Besides, I'm sure there will be times when I'll need someone to take my hand."

"I'll be more than happy to be that someone."

"I know that. So, feeling ready to tell me what was on your mind?"

"Let's just stand like this for awhile. It was nothing important anyway, just a silly nightmare, nothing more."
And so, the two of them stood there, looking out at the ocean which was spread out endlessly in front of them. Deciding that now was the time, Risha turned to Merees.

"Princess" she began. "There is something I wish to tell you."

She didn't get the opportunity though, because the next moment a familiar voice could be heard behind both their backs.

"Hi, I'm back.!

Risha and Merees turned around and saw Leorin standing there, looking up at them.

"Leo, why did you sneak up on us like that?" Risha whispered, annoyed with the interruption.

The small cat looked at his sister, his face the very picture of innocence.

"I've got the compass" he said and reaching down his shirt, he produced a small leather pouch, attached to a cord hanging around his neck.

Neither Risha nor Merees had noticed it at first. Leorin   proceeded to open the pouch and take out the compass.

"Good work", Merees congratulated him. "Was it hard to find?"

Leorin shook his head.

"Not at all, it was lying on top of the Captain's desk. All I had to do was take it."

"Let's hope that Luke had the same luck", Risha said. "He left at the same time as you, but he hasn't returned yet."

Shortly after she had uttered those words, the squirrel showed up, with a bag slung over his shoulder and carrying a rolling-pin in one of his paws.

"What's that for?" Leorin asked, pointing at the blunt object.

Luke held up the rolling-pin and looked at it, as if he hadn't noticed that he was carrying it.

"This? Oh, the cook was about to wake up, so I had to help him back to sleep, that's all. Anyway, I took as much from the pantry as I could, there's food and water in here to last us for days."

"Good", Risha said. "Now, let's leave this place before we're discovered.

They all got into one of the lifeboat and slowly and carefully, lowered it into the water. Merees, being the strongest of the four, took the oars. Soon the ship became smaller and smaller as the distant between it and the lifeboat grew wider.







No comments:

Post a Comment