Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2021

Quick Takes

 Some brief notes on a few of the shows and movies that I've watched lately.

Dune (2021)

Saw this one in the theater, together with my Mom.

Although I'm one of those people who usually prefer to watch film within the comforts of his  own home, this is one movie that I'm glad I saw on the big screen, rather than waiting for it to come out on some streaming service. Dennis Villeneuve has directed a splendid adaptation of the first half of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel, with the actors really bringing the characters to life (with special mention to Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica). Obviously, some changes have been made to the source-material, such as changing the gender of one character, but nothing that bothered me. I'm looking forward to part two.

The Third Man

Re-watch.

Honestly, what can I say about The Third Man? Its one of the all-time greats. Everything about this movie is top-notch: The Cinematography, the writing, the acting (Welles, of course, but also Cotten and pretty much everyone, right down to the bit-parts) and, of course, the music. See it and if you already have? See it again.

Grand Illusion

My third Renoir-film, set during World War 1 This is an incredibly humanistic war-/prison escape movie, which lets the viewer feel empathy/sympathy for all the characters, including the one that could easily have been depicted as a villain, considering his nationality and when the movie was originally made. Another must-watch.

Odd Taxi

Going into this one, the title and art-style had led me to expect a quirky slice-of-life series. Instead, I got a character-driven, dialogue-heavy crime drama, one that features a truly memorable cast of characters (special mention must go to the yakuza porcupine who speaks entirely in rap) and offers a scathing look at social media and internet celebrities, among other aspects of modern culture. We're only at the beginning of the 2020's, but this is already one of my favorite shows of the decade.

Final Space, Season 3

Apparently, Final Space has been cancelled, which means that the third season is also the last one. That's a shame, not only because it means that the series ends on a massive cliffhanger, but also because I liked Final Space. Sure, it was never one of my favorites, but it was a show that I enjoyed watching. I'll miss it.

As for this season, I personally feel it was the strongest of the three. Sure, the comedy part of this sci-fi dramedy, was (as usual), very hit and miss, but the drama was consistently engaging. This was also the darkest season, to the point where I found myself wanting Gary and co to catch a break.


No comments:

Post a Comment