Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2018

Chapter 31

While Jeraddin was fighting on the battlefield, seeing friend and foe alike come to a grisly end, his children and their friends were witness to another battle; one  taking place on stage. It was the duel between the hero Selvano and his arch-rival Zarkudo, one of the signature scenes of the play. The actors portraying the two characters took full advantage of their surroundings, climbing the rigging and swinging from the masts with practiced ease to the astonished murmur of the audience. When the play was over, the entire ensemble bowed, as thunderous applause filled the air.

After the play was over, Hieronymus went up to Eramus and started chatting with him. The two old friends were soon deeply engaged in conversation, with the faun telling the platypus about the things that had happened in the World since they had last met, when two of Hieronymus' guests joined them.

"Where are my manners?" The Doctor said, shaking his head as though astonished by this apparent lack of decorum. "Allow me to present Risha and Merees, who are staying with us for the moment. There are also  two boys, but I can't seem to find them, or Amelia anywhere. Perhaps they left the ship.."

He looked around and soon spotted three familiar figures playing on the beach. His mind at ease, the platypus returned to the conversation at hand.

"I have met one of the ladies already, actually" Eramus said with a smile. "Hello, Risha."

"Hello."

Having  exchanged greetings with Risha, Eramus turned to Merees and bowed.

"Hello to you too, Princess. I must admit that when I noticed you among the spectators, I was surprised. Its been awhile since we had actual royalty in our audience."

"I'm sorry", Merees said, somewhat taken aback by the faun's greeting. "Have we met before?"

"No, but I know from talking to Risha here that you are from Vinoli and since the only dragons living there are part of the royal family, I simply reached the logical conclusion. I did have the honor of performing for your father, some fifty odd years ago, though. Tell me, how is King Sharan?"

A pained look passed over Merees' face.

"He's gone" she said in a low voice.

"I see, you have my condolences. I did not know your father well, but my impression of him was that of a great ruler; one who truly cared for the well-being of his subjects."

"He was."

At this point, Eramus decided to steer the conversation onto a different direction.

"So, tell me, what did you think of the play?" He asked. Being an artist, he was naturally eager to hear what others thought about his work.

"I thought it was great", Risha said, her eyes shining with unbridled enthusiasm. "It was even better seeing it performed by real actors than just reading it."

"Thank you, that is very kind of you to say. And what about you, Your Highness?"

"Please", Merees said, holding up one of her claws. "There's really no need for titles. Just call me by first name, everyone else does."

Eramus looked at he was contemplating this proposition for awhile, then nodded.

"Very well. So, Princess Merees what did you think about the play?"

"Well, I've seen it before, but I must say that this was easily the best performance of it I've seen. Of course, I'd be lying if I said that the company didn't play a huge part in my enjoyment."

As she said that, the dragoness glanced tenderly at Risha, causing the other girl's cheeks to turn red.

"Ah, young love", said the faun, clasping his hands together. "I remember the first time I felt that way. His name was Marsala, he was a poet. We used to lie in bed together and he would recite his work for me, or make up new poems on the spot."

Here, the old actor got a wistful look in his face and he gazed up at the sky.

"That's so romantic", Risha sighed. "How come you don't improvise poems for me?" She asked her girl-friend, teasingly.

"I could ask you the same thing", Merees retorted. "Anyway, you don't want to hear me try to compose verse, trust me."

"How long are you staying this time?" Hieronymus asked.

"Oh, a week or so. The troupe has earned a bit of relaxation and what better place to relax on than this island?"

"Where will you go next?"

"To Tiraliros, its been awhile since we were there and the people who live there have an appreciation for the finer arts."

Upon hearing this, Risha and Merees exchanged looks. Both of them having had the same idea.

"Say, Master Eramus..." The older of the two began.

"Just, Eramus, if you please. After all, there's no need for titles between us", the faun said with a wink.

"Eramus, would you consider to take on a few passengers on your ship?"

"What's this?" Hieronymus said, raising an eyebrow. "Are you planning on leaving us already?"
The Lynx and the dragon looked at their host.

"Doctor", Risha said. "We are very grateful for everything that you and Amelia have done for us, but..."

"I understand perfectly", replied Hieronymus. "Just know that you're always welcome back here."

"To answer your question", Eramus said. "I would have to introduce you to the troupe and get their approval. After all, I am the leader, but that does not mean I make all the decision without consulting the others. As far as I'm concerned though, you're welcome aboard."

"Splendid", said Hieronymus, slapping his flippers together. "And I just got an idea: Why don't we throw a farewell party before you all leave?"

Everyone agreed that that sounded like an excellent idea. Of course, there was still the matter of telling Leorin and Luke about all this and so, Risha and Merees excused themselves and headed to the beach. Hieronymus and Eramus looked at them.

"You do realize that there's one member of the troupe that will be wildly opposed to this, don't you?" The Platypus asked.

Eramus gaze wandered over to a part of the ship where three of the actors were amusing themselves playing dice.

"I know who you mean", he sighed. "Still, as long as the others are for it, he'll just have to accept it."


No comments:

Post a Comment