Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Chapter 29

To the General of the Vinolian Army:

As King it is my duty to inform you that I reject your offer that my uncle brought back from you. Frigonia has been a free and independent nation ever since my ancestors founded it and I shall fight for it to remain that way. Its true that you Vinolians have defeated us in the past, but keep in mind that those times, you had the homefield advantage and we were the invaders. Now, the roles are reversed and my soldiers and I will fight to the last to defend our home. 
Frigon IV, King of Frigonia

Having read the message that the Frigonian envoy had delivered to him, Jeraddin let out a deep sigh, before crumpling the message into a tiny ball, which he tossed into a corner. Very well, if this is how it was going to be. He put on his helmet and left the tent; time to address the troops.

****

Two armies stood on the field outside of Friborg, weapons clutched tightly in their paws and other appendages.  In the sky, high over their heads, crows circled; hungrily anticipating the coming feast.
The leaders of the two armies stared at each other from across the field. As if on cue, they both raised their swords high up in the sky, each blade gleaming in the sun and the war begun.
With a deafening roar, the Vinolian and Frigonian rushed towards each other. Soon, the field had become a scene of carnage, the blood of the fallen watering the grass and making it slippery. Never the kind of commander to stay at the back, Jeraddin cut his way through the Frigonian ranks, his sword almost a blur at times. Had his children seen him at that moment, they would doubtless had found it hard to reconcile the image of the demonic warrior with that of their loving father.

Soon, Jeraddin found himself face to face with the King himself. The two men circled each other, neither saying a word and then their blades met.
Frigon IV had been trained since childhood by some of the finest warriors in all of Frigonia, but until now, he had never been involved in a real battle, whereas his adversary was a seasoned warrior. As valiantly as the King fought, he was forced to admit to himself that Jeraddin had the upper hand.

No! He thought, desperately, sweat in his eyes.  I can't lose. I mustn't lose.

Pushed on by the fear he could feel growing in his chest, the King made a thrust, which caught Jeraddin by surprise. But not for long; the lynx quickly regained his footing and Frigon once again found himself parrying the older male's onslaught. Finally, Jeraddin decided that it was time to put an end to this and with one sweeping gesture, he sent the King's sword flying. The blade made an arc in the air, before embedding itself in the Frigonian soil.

****

Far away from the northern lands of Frigonia and blissfully unaware of the blood that was being spilled, Risha took a deep breath and knocked on the door she was standing in front of. There was no answer, the lynx-girl tried the handle.
Locked.

She knocked again, louder this time.

"Merees, I know you're in there! We need to talk, let me in!"

No answer. Doing a very good impression of a deflating balloon, Risha slumped down against the wall.

"I just wanted to apologize for my behavior earlier", she said. "It was immature and insensitive of me to lash out at you like that, especially over some play. You don't have to forgive me, but I want you to know that I'm sorry."

Having said her apology, Risha stood up and made as if to leave, when from behind her, she could hear the sound of the door opening.
Risha turned and saw Merees standing in the doorway. The dragon's eyes were red-rimmed and the lynx could feel the tears welling up in her own simply by looking at her. Without a word, Merees walked up to Risha and wrapped her arms around her. Risha sobbed softly, her face buried in the taller girl's cleavage.

"I'm so, so sorry", she mumbled, while Merees gently stroked her on the head.

"It's OK, I'm sorry too."

Surprised, Risha lifted her head.

"You are?"

"Of course I am. I won't lie, when I got home I was so angry at you that I could barely think straight: I thought you had acted selfishly and inconsiderate and part of me wondered if I would ever forgive you. I locked myself in my room and blew off steam by punching the walls. I'm afraid I left some dents in them. Then, as I lied on bed crying, I realized something."

"What was that?"

Smiling, Merees touched her girlfriend's damp cheek.

"That you were right; I shouldn't let Argath control my life, its just that..." The Princess paused and Risha waited patiently for her to continue.

"...I used to really look up to my sister. Its not that long ago that we were really close, but after everything that has happened between us, I fear that her treachery have tainted the good memories I used to have of her. Including when we watched that play together."

"I understand that", Risha said. "I just wanted to share something I like with the girl I love.

"You will, let us go and see the play."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely, I want the memory of seeing it with her, be replaced by that of seeing it with you."

Locked in an embrace, the lynx and the dragon stood there, gazing into each other's eyes. A wave of relief washed over them. It was so strong that they both couldn't help themselves, but began to laugh.

"I can't believe we had our first argument", Risha said. "Do you think there'll be others?"

"I'm sure there will be." As she said that, Merees got a glint in her eye. "Hey, Risha?"

"Yes?"

"When an arguing couple have resolved their differences, do you know what inevitably comes after, as night follows day?"
Now it was Risha's turn to smile mischievously.

"Oh", she said. "I think I have a pretty good idea."

As their tongues grappled, Risha let her fingers travel down the length of Merees' back, until they reached the end. Gingerly, the lynx lifted up the dragoness' skirt and gave her bottom a firm, yet affectionate squeeze.

An action which was promptly returned, much to her pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment