Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Chapter 6

The chamber currently occupied by Jeraddin and his family was of the type usually reserved for guests whose stay at the palace was not intended to drag out. It was a medium-sized room, primarily dominated by a comfortable-looking bed. Aside from the bed, the room's furniture consisted of a small desk, upon which a few papers, a quill and a bottle of ink stood, a chair and a fireplace, currently unlit. A heavy silence filled the family's temporary quarters and had done so since they first stepped foot inside it. Nasari was the first one to speak up:

"What do you think will happen now, dear?" She asked her husband.

Jeraddin was leaning against the fireplace with his arms crossed. At the sound of his wife's voice, he turned his head in her direction.

"Honestly, I don't know", he said. "The Crown Princess seem to have things under control though."

"Yes, she did take charge of the situation quite quickly, didn't she?"

"Does that bother you, Nasari?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe a little. She didn't exactly come across as a grieving daughter, that's all."

"When you are in a position of leadership, whether you got there on your own, or inherited it, there are often times when you have to bury your own feelings and focus solely on the here and now. Our late king understood that and apparently, so does the princess."

Nasari was not entirely convinced by her life-mate's argument on Argath's behalf, but felt that it would be pointless to continue the discussion, at least at this point. Instead, she turned her attention towards her children, who were both seated on the bed.

"You two have been awfully quiet since even before all this happened", she said with a look of concern on her face. "You do know that if something troubles you you can always took to me or your father about it."

Risha nodded, she was just about to tell her parents the reason for their silence, when her brother piped up:

"We know who did it", Leorin blurted out, unable to contain himself any longer.

At once, both Nasari's and Jeraddin's eyes were focused on their youngest child. Then, Jeraddin looked at his daughter.

"Risha, is this true?" He asked.

"Yes, father."

Without answering, Jeraddin went over to the door. He was just about to open it when Nasari asked him where he was going.

"I'm going to request an audience with the Princess, of course" he answered, with the look of a man who felt that he was stating the obvious. "I'll tell her that my children know the identity of the person who killed her father and brother."

"Don't!" Risha and Leorin cried out in unison.

The two siblings jumped off the bed and rushed to the door, positioning themselves in front of their father.

"What's the matter with you?" Jeraddin asked, baffled and a bit annoyed by this behavior. "Why don't you want me to speak with the..."

He paused as realization dawned on him. The next word to come out of Jeraddin's mouth was a curse-word, which earned him a reproachful look from his better half, as she quickly covered her son's ears.

*****

Princess Argath sat behind the desk in the large, oval-shaped room which her late father had used as his office. Her claws drummed rhythmically on the polished surface of the desk, while frustration was written across her features.

One question repeated itself inside Argath's head: How? How had Keron and Merees manage to escape her trap? Could someone have warned them? Excluding herself, only two more people knew about the plot. One of them was Lorenzo and the Princess immediately erased his name from the list of suspects. The fox had proven himself many times in her service, his loyalty was beyond any doubt. Her second associate on the other hand...

Argath thought back, she remembered how she had given Lorenzo the task to stake out the kitchen in order to find a dissenter among the staff and Lorenzo had found the perfect choice; a person that was both ambitious and resentful towards Bureno. Recruiting this individual to her cause had been all too easy. Or had it? The princess could not help but wonder if she had been too candid with her other associate? Could it be that in the struggle between his greed and his conscience, the latter had prevailed?

Argath's thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" She called out.

"Its me, Your Highness", a voice replied from the other side.

"Come in."

The door opened and the Captain of the guard entered. He did not come empty-handed, tucked underneath his left arm was a strongbox.

"My men found this hidden away in Bureno's room", he said, putting the strongbox on the desk. Argath stood up and looked at it, she already knew what it contained.

"Have you opened it?" She asked.

"Yes, your highness. We found a key hidden in a jar, it fit perfectly."

"Let me have a look at the contents."

The Captain opened the box, inside was a leather pouch and a letter. Argath picked up the pouch and weighed it in one hand, it was quite heavy. She undid the string on the pouch and turned it upside down, a cascade of gold coins rained down on the desk.

"Now for the letter", she said.

The letter read as follows:

My friend
I knew that despite our so-called king naming you head of his kitchens, your loyalty would always  remain with me. Please, accept this small sum as a token of my gratitude. 
Signed: Count Veracci

"Veracci", the Captain  said, "that name reminds me of something."

"It should, Count Veracci was a nobleman who secretly moonlighted as the leader of the gang of brigands that terrorized the countryside, robbing travelers and holding them for ransom, that sort of thing. Anyway, he was eventually exposed but being a shrewd fellow, he escaped abroad, before he could be arrested and brought to justice."

"So, was Bureno part of this gang?"

"No, he was simply Veracci's cook. At one point, the count invited the royal family to a dinner at his manor and I remembered that my late father was full of praise for Bureno's cooking, that's why, as soon as Veracci had disappeared, he snatched the, at the time, young chef up and appointed him head of the palace kitchen."

"Forgive me for being so candid, your Highness, but I must say that his majesty's generosity was misplaced."

"Well, you knew my father, he always wanted to see the best in everyone. By the way, where's Bureno now?"

"We dragged him off to the dungeon, kicking and screaming and there he'll remain until the trial. Though it shouldn't take long, not with such crucial evidence against him."

The truth of the matter was that Count Veracci had passed away and that the letter he had written to Bureno was a forgery. News of the Count's death had been on its way to Vinoli, but the carrier-pigeon in charge of delivering the message had never reached its destination and Argath had ensured that there would be no inquiry as to his whereabouts.

For a moment, Argath felt a slight twinge of remorse. After all, Bureno was neither a target for her vengeance, nor was he threat to her claim to the throne. Should I have involved him in my plans? She wondered. No, she decided, swatting this thought away as if it had been the mental equivalent to a pesky fly. Bureno was always grateful to my father and would surely have revealed everything to him. He had to be the scapegoat, its as simple as that.

"Thank you, Captain" she said out-loud. "That will be all."

Having dismissed the Captain, Argath turned her focus to a few documents lying in front of her. However, a slight clearing of a throat caused her to look up again, only to notice that the captain was still present.

"Yes?" She asked, a twinge of annoyance in her tone.

"Forgive me, Your Highness", the Captain apologized. "However, there's something I need to get off my chest."

"Very well, proceed."

"I'd like to tender my resignation, Your Highness. That is all."

"What for?"

"I've failed in my duties, Your Highness", the Captain said stiffly, his voice filled with self-reproach..
"Princess Merees warned me that there would be an attempt on the King's life. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to prevent it."

Upon hearing her sister's name, Argath felt her heart skip a beat.

"Did my sister tell you anything else?" She asked, taking care to have her voice remain as neutral as possible.

The Captain thought for a moment, then shook his head.

"Not that I can recall, Your Highness. I'm sorry that I couldn't be of anymore help."

"I see....Thank you, captain."

"About my resignation, Your Highness?"

"I assure you Captain, no-one is blaming you for what happened."

"I blame myself, Your highness. I'm sorry, but my mind is made up."

Argath stifled a sigh. She really didn't feel like dealing with this at the moment.

"Very well, if you've made up your mind, I guess there's nothing I can say to persuade you. Do you have a replacement in mind?"

"I do."

"Good. I'd like to meet with this person when things have settled down. In the meantime, remain on your post and don't tell anyone about your resignation."

The Captain clicked his heels together and saluted smartly, before leaving the room.

As soon as the Captain was gone, Argath turned to Lorenzo who had been standing in one of the corners of the room, silently watching everything which had transpired.

"Bring our droopy-eyed friend here", she commanded. "I wish him to clarify a few things."

"Oh, that won't be necessary", the fox said.

"What do you mean? He must have told Merees, who else could it be?"

A sly grin appeared on Lorenzo's face.

"Well, when I was in the dining hall, I noticed that your sister left the room along with general Jeraddin's daughter. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but now that I think about it, its quite a coincidence, wouldn't you say?"

"Well well", Argath said. "Bring the young lady here, Lorenzo. I think she and I should have a little chat."

The Princess leaned back in the chair, with her hands behind her back. In her eyes, two flames danced ominously.








  

No comments:

Post a Comment