Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

The Venture Bros. Movie

 Recently, The Venture Bros. movie, bearing the fittingly pulp-y title Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart was released digitally and having, seen the film, I thought I'd offer my take on it.

First of all, let me make one thing clear: If you haven't seen The Venture Bros, then this movie is not a good introduction to the series. Unlike other movies spawned off of TV-Shows that I can mention (South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, the 2017 My Little Pony movie, among others), Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart makes no attempt at being accessible to newcomers, picking up from where the show left off when it was cancelled back in 2018 and being completely steeped in lore. Anyone who comes into this movie without pre-existing knowledge of these characters and their relationships are likely to be left scratching their heads in confusion.

As someone who has seen every episode of The Venture Bros (some emultiple times), did I enjoy the film? Well, before I answer that question, I'm going to address my one major criticism of it.

Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart clocks in at 84 minutes and it packs quite a lot of plot into that relatively brief runtime. To the point, where, at times, the movie feels cramped. Apparently, this was originally going to be the eight season of the show proper, before it was made into a movie and there are times when hat shows. In particular, the antagonist would have benefited if they and their organisation had been built up over multiple episodes rather than making their first appearance in this film.

That aside, I did enjoy the film. My favorite characters (Rusty, the Monarch and Dr. Mrs. Monarch) all got plenty of focus (I could have used more of the Alchemist though and was surprised at how little Brock had to do). Red Death, of course, stole every scene he was in. I really liked how Hank's and Dean's story-line was resolved, showing that these two are probably more emotionally mature than most of the adults they know. Visually, the movie looks good and the voice-actors perform their roles well (as I expected).

Lastly, the movie provides answers to questions that fans of the show have been asking for years. Such as; the identity of Hank's and Dean's mother and whether or not Rusty and the Monarch are related? 

Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart may not join the ranks of my favorite animated features, but it is an entertaining film and, if it is indeed the last Venture Bros. related thing we get (I hope not), a worthy conclusion to a saga that has been going on for nearly two decades.

Go Team Venture!

Oh, and in case you were wondering: Yes, there is a reason for the movie's title.

No comments:

Post a Comment