Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2018

Chapter 33

In the castle's great hall Orloff paced back and forth. The King's uncle was troubled, he had overseen the city's defenses and found that parts of the outer wall had fallen into a state of disrepair. More over, there wasn't much dried meat and fish left in the storage building. Orloff sighed deeply. Truly, the Vinolian army could not have chosen a worse (or better, depending on who you asked) time to pick their invasion.

These were not the chief things that occupied, the ermine's mind though. No, instead his thoughts kept drifting back to the last conversation he had had with his nephew in the royal armory. Orloff had tried to persuade Frigon to let someone else take his place at the head of the army, but the King had refused.

"Out of the question, uncle" he had said, as he strapped on his sword. "This is my duty as a ruler and I intend to do it."

"You also have a duty to live" Orloff had replied sternly. "What happens if you're killed in the field?"

"You forget uncle, that I have been trained since childhood by some of our nation's finest warriors."

"True" Orloff had reluctantly agreed. "But you have no combat experience and the leader of the Vinolian army is a seasoned warrior."

"In that case, this should provide me ample opportunity to gain some" Frigon had said, flashing a confident smile that made the older man think that for a brief second, it was his brother, come back from the dead, that stood before him. "Besides, imagine a chance to cross swords with the famous Jeraddin."

Let's hope it does not come to that, Orloff had thought. "Your Majesty is sure that my presence is not required by his side?" He had asked out loud.

"No, Uncle, I need you to stay behind and guard the fort. "If worst comes to worst" (here, Frigon's face became grave, as he let the implication of these words sink in), you must take my place as the head of our nation, once more."

"A role that I have no wish to assume again" Orloff had replied, inwardly feeling a surge of relief that he would not be on the battlefield, for though talented in many ways, he had never been much of a soldier.
"Come back safely, nephew."

"I will uncle."

****
"Prince Orloff! Your Highness!"

The sound of someone callling his name sent the ermine back to the present. He turned around to see a servant girl standing in the doorway, looking out of breath.

"What is it?" He asked.

"The army, it has returned."

Orloff rushed past the servant in a flash and was soon out on the courtyard. There he watched as the remnants of the Frigonian army entered through the castle-gates, many had suffered terrible wounds and had to be supported by their comrades or be carried on stretchers. As medics rushed forward to attend to the wounded, the King's uncle searched for his nephew, but could not find him anywhere. Could he have fallen in battle?
His heart racing, Orloff grabbed the shoulder of a nearby soldier, one who was covering the right side of his face with his paw.

"The King" he asked, fearing the worst. "Where is he?"

The wolf glanced at the ermine with  a single tired eye and shook his head.

"Captured" he muttered.

While the soldier hurried away to have his wounds looked at, Orloff remained standing frozen in one spot. Around him the feverish activity continued, but the King's uncle no longer took notice of it. In his head, that one word kept repeating over and over again:

Captured.

Captured.

Captured.

*****

"That was delicious" Lucinda said, as she put the fork and knife down on the now empty plate.

She and Felix were sitting in the dining hall in Cornelius' villa. They had just finished having supper together with their host and his partner of two decadess; a cat named Aemon. The four of them were alone in the house, Cornelius having given the one servant he and Aemon employed the evening off.

"Thank you" Cornelius said, smiling under his mustache. "I prepared everything myself."

"Really?" Felix said in surprise. "I didn't know you were a chef."

"Corne is a dog of many talents" said Aemon, with pride in his voice.

"Well" Cornelius said modestly. "Cooking has always been a hobby of mine. Now that my presence is no longer required at court, I shall have ample time to hone whatever minor talents I possess in that field."

"I'm not sure they need to be honed much further" said Lucinda with sincerity. "This was one of the best meals I have eaten."

"Once again; you flatter me, dear Lady" Cornelius said, bowing his head in gratitude of the praise.

"I must say" Lucinda continued, "when we received the invitation from you I was surprised. After all, Felix and you have not exactly been bosom buddies in the past."

"I was just as surprised when I found out he had invited you" Aemon replied with a smile.

"True, Felix and I have had our differences, but recently..."

"Let's just say that recently we've discovered some common interests." Felix interjected.

"Well, as long as it means more dinners like this in the future, I'm all for it" Lucinda said. She raised her glass, which still had some wine in it. "Cheers!"

"Cheers!" The others replied in unison, as four glasses clinked together.

Once the glasses had been emptied, Cornelius turned to Felix.

"Speaking of common interests" he said. "What's been happening at court lately?"

"Well" Felix said. "We had a meeting earlier today."

"Oh? Did it concern the war?"

"Indeed, the Queen received a message from Jeraddin: The Frigonians are willing to negotiate terms of surrender."

"I suppose Her Majesty was absolutely ecstatic when she brought that piece of news to the Council."

Felix nodded.

"She and everyone else in the room, they are planning a victory feast for the General when he returns."

Cornelius did not comment but made a little snort. Felix leaned forward, motioning for Cornelius to do the same.

"By the way" he said, lowering his voice slightly. "There's another thing I need to talk to you about."

"I know" Cornelius whispered back. He then turned to Lucinda:

"My dear, I'm afraid Felix and I have some business to discuss together. I hope you don't mind?"

"Of course not."

"Aemon, perhaps you could give Lucinda a tour? Maybe show her the garden? The Garden is Aemon's domain" he explained. "His white roses are splendid, if I may say so."

"Oh? In that case I should very much like to see them."

"It would be my pleasure to show them to you" said Aemon, beaming with delight over the prospect of showing a guest his work. "Come with me."

He stood up and gallantly offered Lucinda his arm, she took it and the two of them left the kitchen. Shortly afterwards, their significant others did the same.

*****

Seating himself in a comfortable-looking armchair, Felix let his eyes wander over the decor in Cornelius' study. The Iguana knew that in his youth, Cornelius had traveled a lot and the spacious room was decorated with souvenirs from all over the world. On the wall hung a pair of curved swords from Bizita, in the corner was a statue of Sofir, the three-headed Moragian deity of war and so on.
However, what really caught the visitor's eye was a portrait of King Sharan hanging right over Cornelius' work desk.
Felix glanced up at the late monarch. How strange, it seemed like an eternity since he passed away.

No, he did not pass away Felix corrected himself, bitterly. His life was taken from him.

"Can I offer you something?" He heard Cornelius ask. "Whiskey? A Cigar?"

"Something to smoke would be nice, thank you."

Cornelius opened a drawer in his desk and came back with two cigars. Felix found himself wondering how he was going to light them, since he didn't seem to carry any matches. He got his answer immediately: Cornelius mumbled a few words and snapped his fingers and both cigars were lit.
Felix accepted the cigar Cornelius handed him with wide-eyed surprise.

"I didn't know you were a magician" he said, awe-struck.

"Only a few minor spells that I picked up during my youth, nothing special."

"Well" said Felix, "A few minor spells is more than I've ever bothered to learn, I can tell you that much."

He put the cigar in his mouth and began to puff on it. Cornelius joined him and soon the two of them sat there, blowing smoke-rings.

"So" Cornelius said, "shall we get down to business? What was it you wanted to tell me?"

"Well" Felix said, leaning forward. "Before he left for the north, I managed to have a talk with Jeraddin."

"Go on."

Thus, Felix told Cornelius about how he had spoken to Jeraddin and tried to convince him to publicly denounce the war and that he had refused. He also cited the General's reason for doing so and his theory regarding the underlying motivation of that reason.

"You do realize" Cornelius said, once Felix had finished. "That what you've just told me, is a very serious accusation?"

"I'm aware of that and a part of me wants it to be unfounded. After all, we've both known the Queen for ages. That said, with her recent behavior, would you really put it past her?"

"No, I would not. Though I wonder what reason Argath would have for seeking her father's death?

"Well, she's revealed herself to be very ambitious. Maybe she just wanted to be Queen?"

Cornelius thought for a moment, then dismissed the idea by shaking his head.

"Doesn't make sense; Argath was named the heir to the throne before either of us were born. She would have been Queen anyway, sooner or later. No, I think there's something behind her actions beyond a lust for power."

"Than what it could be?" Felix asked. "Revenge? For what? What could possibly have happened to push the Queen to such extremes?"

"I might have an idea" said the old dog. "There's something need to show you."

He went over to the bookcase and took down a lacquered box. 

"I found this box while doing some spring-cleaning, the box itself is not of great interest, what's inside of it, on the other hand."

Cornelius opened the box and took out a small black book.

"This is a journal, written by one of my ancestors. Its pages have been prepared, so that's what's written in it is still legible, as if it was written only recently. I'm not that far of it, but there was one part that I think you will find interesting."

He cleared his throat and began to read:

"Was invited to Prince Argeron's apartment for supper. His sister was there as well, we discussed the new play..."

"Hold on!" Felix interrupted, holding up a hand. "Prince Argeron? I've never heard of him before and the sister? That wouldn't be...?"

Cornelius shut the book and nodded. 























No comments:

Post a Comment