Search This Blog

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Comics That Should Be Translated: L'Epee d'Ardenois

Originally, I had planned on writing this review late last year, but alas, other things got in the way. Still, better late than never; its been awhile since I last made a post focusing on a comic that I enjoyed and L'Epee d'Ardenois is certainly worthy of being the subject of the first comic-related post of the year and I can assure you that it won't be the last one.

L'Epee d'Ardenois (The Sword of Ardenois) is a French anthro comic created by Etienne Willem; it was originally published in four parts and when was later collected into one hefty volume. Its the latter version that I have read.

Set in a medieval fantasy world, L'Epee d'Ardenois is the story of Garen, a young village-boy who idolizes the aging knight Godefroid. Twenty years ago, the dark lord Nuhy sought to conquer the world (as dark lords are wont to do), but was defeated by an alliance of the three kingdoms, led by a group of heroes known as The Companions of the Dawn (could this be a reference to Bourgeon's Les Compagnons de Crepuscule/The Companions of the Twilight, I wonder?), Godefroid being one of them.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, otherwise we wouldn't have a story), evil never stays vanquished for long and so, almost as soon as the comic has begun, Garen's peaceful village is attacked by Nuhy's right-hand man; Hellequin of the Cursed Woods. During the attack, Godefroid is killed and his blade, the titular sword is taken. Garen tries to come to his hero's aid, but is easily overpowered and left for dead by Hellequin. Garen is nursed back to health by the ow Maquis, who gives him the mission to find the reaming Companions of the Dawn; Arthus, Grimbert and Lafouine and with their help unite the three kingdoms against Nuhy's forces once more, before Hellequin can assemble all the pieces of Nuhy's old armor and thus, bring his master back from the grave. 

Not an easy task and it does not become easier due to the fact that the kingdoms once allies now eye one another with suspicion and distrust. 

L'Epee d'Ardenois is one of those comics that I knew I had to read from the moment I first heard about it and saw some of the artwork and once I had the complete volume in my hands and began to read it, I was not disappointed. In preparation for this review, I re-read the whole thing and I am pleased to say that my feelings toward the comic have not been diminished. . What starts out as a fairly clear-cut story about the never-ending struggle of good versus evil, gradually becomes more complex and morally grey, with many of the "good guys" being willing to use less than ethical methods in order to ensure peace.

I've read my fair share of anthro (or if you prefer funny animal, though the term seems a bit misleading in this case) comics in my day. fFom Barks' Donald Duck to Macherot's Chlorophylle and Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo, just to mention a few. L'Epee d'Ardenois, with its detailed vivid artwork,  engaging characters and page-turner of a plot, stands among the best that this genre has to offer and is a comic that definitely should be translated.

Gallery

Cover to the complete collection
Garen trains with Godefroid
Hellequin attacks






No comments:

Post a Comment